Go to the start of the Desire2Learn Student Orientation.

Desire2Learn Student Orientation:
Navigation

My Home

Immediately after you successfully log in to Desire2Learn (see How to Log In), you are presented with the My Home page. My Home lists all of your online courses at UW-Madison and other general My Home tools such as News about upcoming Desire2Learn outages, etc.

The navigation bar on the top of the screen is called the My Home navigation bar. It contains common links as Help, Logout, etc.

Entering a Course

On your My Home page, locate the name of your course inside the box titled My Courses. Click the course name to enter the course.

course list when open

If you only see this inside the My Courses box:

course list when collapsed

Then click the > sign on the right side of the list to expand your list of DCS courses to look like the first image above.

Course Home

Once you have proceeded past My Home and have entered your course, you first see the Course Home page. This page displays all the important tools for your course. The navigation bar located in the top part of your screen is your "course navigation bar" and will remain visible throughout your course, with the exception of while you are reading course content. This navigation bar contains many of your important course links.

course navigation bar

The example above, from a Business Spanish course, probably has different links in its navigation bar than your course does. Note especially the bottom row of links. To explore your course, simply try out all the links in the navigation bar!

Content Toolbar

In your course navigation bar (see above), the "Content" area may be your most important destination. This is where instructors place your course material.

Above every page of course content, you will see these icons:

Content toolbar

Here are some fuller explanations of what these tools do for you:

Bookmark Click this icon to mark the current page. Even after you log out, and return using a different computer, your bookmark will be conveniently saved for you, so that you can quickly jump back to this spot in this course.
Open in New Window Click this to view the current page of the course without any course toolbars (so that you can see more on one screen).
Previous Click the left arrow to view the course page which precedes the current page - as if you were flipping through a book. This is very different from the "back" icon on your Web browser, which goes to whichever Web page you happened to be viewing before this one.
Next Click the right arrow to view the course page which follows the current page - as if you were flipping through a book. This is very different from the "forward" icon on your Web browser, which returns you to whichever Web page you happened to be viewing before you clicked your "back" icon.
Division of Continuing Studies | UW-Madison